With apologies for the delay since the last post, here is an update on what has been happening throughout the last couple of months here at Southwold. Replica SR wagon 41 has now gained some sides! Work is continuing adding
The Southwold Railway Trust can look backward to 2015 as a good, but hard, year of consolidation. Our volunteers spent almost six months on two efforts – firstly, works to enable the boundaries and access on the Wenhaston land, including
Almost the entire SRT Rolling Stock Group attended our workshop day on Saturday October 31st, in amazingly fine weather. The plan was to cut, drill and assemble three track panels of ex-Bressingham rail to allow a trial move of Coach
Saturday’s team worked on three projects – Van 40, Coach 7 and locomotive “Blyth”. All the timber drilling and rebating on the van underframe was completed, and the last section of coach ceiling (Southwold end) rubbed down, filled, and primed.
The Wenhaston Environmental Volunteers have continued to clear the original trackbed on Trust land. Brambles, both alive and dead, nettles, and scrub dead saplings (mainly elm) are being removed, initially to provide a path for members’ access and accurate survey. By
SRT members John Ridgway, James Hewett & Toby Robinson collected the newly-blasted and primed wagon bits from Coastground, Great Yarmouth recently. The frame and wheelsets have already gone to Peggs of Aldeburgh for re-sizing. All the rest is back in
The stripped 4-wheel ex-WD chassis loaded on a lorry on its way to Coastground of Yarmouth, where it is to be grit-blasted and primed – along with the wheelsets, coupling assemblies, brake gear and springs. After this it will travel to
The Southwold Railway Trust has taken delivery of two historic items of rolling stock from the Isle of Man – Manx Northern Railway Coach number 3 built in 1879 and the frames of steam locomotive No.7 Tynwald built in 1880.
SR Chassis With the restoration team now meeting on a regular basis at our shed at Duncan’s Yard, work has started in earnest on the ex-War Department 2’6″ gauge 4-wheeled chassis. Since this photo the chassis has been turned through