the Southwold Railway Trust.
The Southwold Railway opened in 1879 and closed in 1929. It was a 3 foot narrow gauge line that linked Southwold and the sea with Halesworth on the main Great Eastern line 9 miles away.
It wound through gentle, but very beautiful countryside following the River Blyth with three intermediate stations at Wenhaston, Blythburgh and Walberswick.
The SR Trust is dedicated to preserving the memory of this special little railway and re-opening as much of the old route as we can. In December 2012 Suffolk Coastal District Council rejected our Planning Application to build a replica station and visitor centre near the original site of Wenhaston Station. Following consultation with the planning authorities, local residents and our own members, a revised, scaled down proposal was submitted in April 2013. Go to our Wenhaston Project pages to see more about these revised plans and our appeal for funds to purchase the site.
Go to the History page to find out about its past, see Photos of the line today.
Keep up with our plans for the building of a replica of locomotive No. 3 "Blyth" on the 2-4-0 Club pages
or read our Blog to investigate recent happenings. Don't forget to visit our Shop page too, where you can find a tempting selection of cards, books, DVDs and other gifts.
Members of the Southwold Railway Trust can access the Volunteers page
to offer the skills in a variety of ways, so why not Join the Southwold Railway Trust
online and help us in our efforts to bring narrow gauge steam back to Suffolk after a gap of 83 years!
The Southwold Railway Trust has just launched a new project - to set up a Trackbed Purchase Fund to be held by the Trust for immediate use in case any section of trackbed becomes available either for sale or lease.